I’ve been having an unbelievable streak of bad luck these past few months. Do you know that feeling when nothing seems to be going your way – as in nothing? It’s as if I’m being picked on by the universe.
- In March, my husband and I decided to finally buy our very own car. Spanking brand new one. In a week, the hood got damaged when it hit the gate while we were parking it.
- I was having an extremely difficult time coping with my job – I couldn’t meet my weekly goals but for everyone else, it was smooth sailing. Imagine telling your client for five days straight that you booked them zero appointments no matter how hard you tried!
- Early in April both my son and I got sick, and my son is still under maintenance for his bad asthma attack from New Year’s day. He had a terrible cough and cold and he couldn’t sleep well for weeks. His meds were expensive and it was difficult to see him sick.
- A few weeks later, I fell victim to an ATM skimming device scam, and lost one month’s worth of my salary. Would you believe that my Chinese horoscope predicted a “robbery” in the fourth month of 2015. Surprise, surprise.
- A week after that, my client was about to cancel their contract with me because they weren’t satisfied with my output. I was hanging by a thread but they decided to give me another month.
You might think I’m being overdramatic, and maybe I am, but when things like this pile up you just feel like your at your wit’s end. I guess what hit me hard the most was losing our money, because we had important plans for that money.
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve cried last month. There were times when I just wanted to stay in bed and mope all day, times when I wanted to down a bucket of ice cream and boxes of pizza, and times when I just wanted to curse at everyone. But I can’t, and I won’t. Because I’ve been through tougher times and worse things, and especially because I wasn’t raised to be weak in the face of hardship.
I keep telling myself to still be thankful,
..that we’re not broke, that we have a roof over our heads and that we still eat three times a day.
..that Ethan is better now, that I still have my job, and that our car is still intact.
..that I have a family who cares, that I have a husband who works hard for us and always reminds me to stay positive.
..and that I have a son whose smile gets me through the toughest days.
Life may suck right now, but a friend told me that despite everything that’s going on, something great is bound to happen. And I believe her. You know that song by Robbie Williams, “Something Beautiful”? The lyrics really refer to finding love, but there’s this part of the song that I like a lot that I relate to life in general:
“May you find that love that won’t leave you
May you find it by the end of the day
You won’t be lost, hurt, tired and lonely
Something beautiful will come your way”
I always remind myself that things will get better, that “something beautiful” will eventually happen. No matter how bad some days can be, I still pray and thank Him for the good things – for having people I love who help me get through these bad days. Sure, tomorrow could be worse than the day I was scammed, or the day I almost lost my job, but I believe that tomorrow is still something worth looking forward to no matter how much bad luck as rained on me.. because tomorrow might be the day that “something beautiful” happens to me.